For purists, the best charcoal grill under $200 is a good option. These products offer more performance and features compared with cheaper options.
Plus, you get to enjoy that seared, smoky flavor that only coal can impart on meats.
This lets you cook steakhouse quality burgers, steaks and lambs at home. The best part of it all is you can enjoy this with all your friends and family.
Our picks and reviews below focus on only the top products on the market. These have shown excellent performance in use.
Our Top Choices: High Performance Charcoal Grills
- Weber 14402001 Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Copper
- Weber 441001 Original Kettle 18-Inch Charcoal Grill
- Char-Griller 2123 Wrangler Charcoal Grill / Smoker
- Weber 1211001 Jumbo Joe 18-Inch Portable Grill
- Lodge L410 Sportsman’s Charcoal Grill
Best Charcoal Grill under $200 Reviews
Weber 14402001 Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Copper
For durability and reliability, we like the Weber Original Premium Kettle. This charcoal grill comes in the traditional design. It is simple. Yet full of features to make barbecuing easier.
The Original Kettle Premium comes in 22 inch and 26 inch models. The figure refers to the diameter of the circular cooking surface. This Weber charcoal grill is offered in black as well as a few brighter colors like copper and green.
On the outside, it is shapes like an uneven egg. This is so that it keeps heat in better.
On the lid of the grill.
- You get a built-in thermometer on the lid for easy temperature monitoring.
- It also comes with a cool touch handle and a heat shield underneath that.
- Finally, a vent wheel that lets you control internal temperature.
Inside the grill.
- You’ll see a cooking grid that covers the entire space.
- On the sides of the grid are hinges that flip up. These let you easily add wood and charcoal while grilling. They eliminate the need for removing the grid when you need to add either.
- The grid also comes with handles on its sides for easy removal.
- Under the cooking grid is the charcoal grate. This is where you put them in.
- At the bottom of the grill are 3 blades. These can be controlled from a lever under the grill.
- The blades let you control the airflow coming in and out the bottom vent.
- Plus, they sweep the ashes though the holes in the vent.
Under the grill.
- There is a unique ash catching system.
- This apparatus consists of a big removable pot-like device that collects all the ashes that go through the bottom vent. It’s convenient because of its large size. And you’ll never need to touch the ashes from here till when you dispose of them.
- Lastly, there’s a lever above the pot that lets you sweep the cleaning blades inside the grill.
We like that you get complete control with the Weber grill. It makes everything easy to do. Plus, the design is simple yet elegant.
Weber 441001 Original Kettle 18-Inch Charcoal Grill
For something that’s very similar, but cheaper on your budget, the Original Kettle is another great choice. This is a more basic version of the Premium. You get all the essentials needed to grill delicious, juicy burgers and steaks.
The Original Kettle is available in 18 and 22 inches. This offers a slightly smaller size. Though you’ll find they’re more than enough for most family barbecues. This one is only available in one color, black.
From a distance, they look almost identical. But, they do have some varying features.
Like the Premium model, this one has a porcelain enameled steel exterior. This helps prevent rust and makes it durable even when left outdoors.
The grill has handles on the top of the lid and to the side. Plus, you get the same temperature control vent on the top of the lid. Unlike the Premium Kettle, there is no built-in thermometer.
Within the grill, there’s a similar cooking grate. But, this grid doesn’t have the pull up hinges on the sides. This means you’ll need to lift it up via the side handles if you want to add wood or charcoal.
The bottom sections are similar. You have the charcoal grate, blade cleaning system and vent.
The final difference is the ash catching mechanism. This one has a much more primitive one. You don’t have the benefit of the big ash pot apparatus. Instead, there’s a shallow bowl that’s hooked to the legs of the grill’s stand.
Ashes that go through the bottom vent fall down to the tray. Then, you unhook it and dispose of the ashes. This isn’t as elegant. And, during windy days, you may have some ashes blow away.
Overall, it’s still a great charcoal grill. It’s much more affordable at around half the price. This makes it a more practical choice for home grilling.
Char-Griller 2123 Wrangler Charcoal Grill / Smoker
If you prefer a setup that look more like the conventional gas grills, then the Char-Griller Wrangler is a good choice.
This BBQ sets up with a flat rectangular grilling area. It also offers a good sized space between that of a 22” and 26” Weber Original. In all, you get a 435 square inch main grilling space. And, 200 square inches for secondary cooking.
The device is made from heavy gauge steel while the grates are cast iron for even cooking. The entire unit weight just over 100 pounds. It come with large wheels that make moving the BBQ easy. Plus there are 3 spaces on for placing your grilling tools, sauces and spices.
Overall, this is an easy to use and clean charcoal grill. It lets you grill with high heat. Or, smoke with lower temperatures.
Lodge L410 Pre-Seasoned Sportsman’s Charcoal Grill
This grill is as simple as you get. It comes in the form of a hibachi grill. You get an open flat grill surface. And, load the charcoal underneath the grate. This Lodge charcoal grill looks like something you’ll see in old Western movies.
The best part about it is it is as simple as it is effective. We like that it is made from heavy duty construction and material.
The only moving parts to this BBQ are the grate’s height adjustment mechanism and the front opening door for charcoal. This cuts down on part breaking or having to do repairs.
The unit measures 19 inches long by 10.25 inches wide. It is 8.25 inches tall. This makes it a relatively smaller grill compared to the others. Though more portable as well. The grilling surface is 17.25 inches by 9 inches.